Areas Of Practice

Specializing in all areas of Immigration and Nationality Law for over 20 years.


Two groups of family based immigrant visa categories, including immediate relatives and family preference categories, are provided under the provisions of United States immigration law, specifically the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas (Not Subjected to Numerical Limitation): These visa types are based on a close family relationship with a United States (U.S.) citizen described as an Immediate Relative (IR). The number of immigrants in these categories is not limited each fiscal year. Immediate relative visa types include:

IR-1: Spouse of a U.S. Citizen
IR-2: Unmarried Child Under 21 Years of Age of a U.S. Citizen
IR-3: Orphan adopted abroad by a U.S. Citizen
IR-4: Orphan to be adopted in the U.S. by a U.S. citizen
IR-5: Parent of a U.S. Citizen who is at least 21 years old

Family Preference Immigrant Visas "Green Card Holders" (Subject to Numerical Limitation): These visa types are for specific, more distant, family relationships with a U.S. citizen and some specified relationships with a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). There are fiscal year numerical limitations on family preference immigrants, shown at the end of each category.  The family preference categories are:

Family First Preference (F1): Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their minor children, if any. (23,400)
Family Second Preference (F2): Spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters (age 21 and over) of LPRs. At least seventy-seven percent of all visas available for this category will go to the spouses and children; the remainder is allocated to unmarried sons and daughters. (114,200)
Family Third Preference (F3): Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children. (23,400)
Family Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children, provided the U.S. citizens are at least 21 years of age. (65,000)

Returning Resident Immigrant Visas (SB) - A lawful permanent resident (LPR) who has remained outside the U.S. for longer than twelve months, or beyond the validity period of a re-entry permit, will require a new immigrant visa to enter the U.S. and resume permanent residence. A provision exists under U.S. visa law for the issuance of a returning resident special immigrant visa to an LPR who remained outside the U.S. due to circumstances beyond his/her control. For more information about international travel as a LPR, and returning resident immigrant visas, Please contact our office for a  consultation with one of our attorneys at 305. 232.8889.


Applicant's in the process of adjusting for legal permanent residency planning to travel outside of United States must obtain permission in order to re-enter the country.


Applicant's that are outside of United States with an approved petition for an alien relative. Must apply for consular processing in order to receive the Green Card (Permanent Residency)


Marriage Based Petition that was less than two years old are granted conditional residency and must file a removal of conditions during the 90 days of the second anniversary of their two years conditional residency in order to obtain a permanent residency.


Applicant's in the process of adjusting for legal permanent residency are eligible to apply for employment authorization.


A United States Citizen may file for a petition for a foreign fiance or fiancee to enter the United States for the purpose of marriage.